● 1 tsp. butter
● 1 clove garlic ; minced
● 1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrot ; (1 small)
● 2 cups chicken broth
● 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta ; (6 oz)
● 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach
● 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
● 1 tbsp. fresh or 1 tsp dried basil leaves
● Salt ; and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a three-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and carrot in butter about two minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrot is tender.
Stir in broth, pasta and spinach. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broth is absorbed. Stir in remaining ingredients before serving.
A 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain, can be substituted for the fresh spinach.