● 1 wide baguette
● 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil ; (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
● 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
● 1 small onion ; chopped
● 2 large clove garlic ; divided, 1 chopped, 1 crushed
● 1 tbsp. tomato paste
● 2 cups beef stock
● 1 sprig of rosemary leaves ; chopped
● Salt ; and freshly ground black pepper
● 1/4 lb. sliced roast beef
● 6 slices provolone cheese
Slice baguette open lengthwise just shy of actually completely splitting it open; you want it to open like a book and stay together. Then cut the bread in half so that you have 2 books. Transfer the bread to a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown, 8-10 minutes, or toast under the broiler but keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn! Once the bread is toasted, rub cut side with the crushed clove of garlic then drizzle it with a little EVOO and cover it with grated cheese.
While the bread is toasting, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add onion, chopped garlic, tomato paste and rosemary, season with a little salt and pepper, and cook until the onions start to get soft about 2-3 minutes. Add beef stock, bring up to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes to let the flavors come together.