● 3/4 cup water -warm between 70 and 80 degrees
● 1 large egg
● 3/4 tsp. salt
● 3 cups whole wheat flour — use a bread flour or
● high ; gluten flour if possible
● 2 tsp. honey
● 2 tsp. Bread Machine Yeast ; (or regular yeast)
● 1 large egg — lightly beaten
● 1 tbsp. water
● Coarse ; salt or sesame seed
Add water, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, honey, and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle.
When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in 1 tablespoon flour to make dough easy to handle. Roll into a 14 x 6-inch rectangle.
With sharp knife, cut into twelve 14 x 1/2-inch strips. Gently pull each strip into a rope about 16 inches long. To shape into pretzels: curve ends of each rope to make a circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay over bottom of circle. Place on greased baking sheets.
Do not let rise. Combine lightly beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame seed. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until done. (For even browning when using two sheets, switch positions of sheets